[dundee] Upgrading PHP version

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 21:28:12 BST 2007

good question...

hmmm....

try and find a rpm for your o/s and upgrade that way, that's
the safe way.

You could however compile from source...it's scary but will
give you the maximum control of what your building, but
forget about upgrading with rpm's or .deb's or whatever
after you do this.

This is one of the reason I'm interesting in virutal machines,
no need to upgrade php on the hosts, where things could go
wrong, just boot a fresh virtual hosts, with the php you need
and bingo , job done!

;-)

chris wyllie <cgwyllie at googlemail.com> wrote: Hello folks,

I'm hoping somebody can kinda roughly guide me through upgrading the PHP version on a server via SSH. Currently the server's version is 5.1.6 and I need access to the hooks implemented in version  5.2.x and the APC extension. I think the server is running Red Hat or Fedora but I could be wrong. I know it's not Debian.

Is it as simple as untaring the source and the usual configure>make>make install steps or is there more to it? Also, once upgraded, is installing the APC extension difficult?

Thanks in advance for any help :) I'd be willing to look at alternatives too if somebody can suggest any.

  Chris
Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk