[dundee] filesystem files

Nistur nistur at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 14 08:55:41 BST 2007

I was having a chat last night at the counting house and rememebred
something I was fiddling around with a few months ago but never got sorted.
I have a Windows Mobile based phone. I have 2x 2GB SD cards. I have an SD
card reader on my laptop. I have 1.4GB mini DVD-Rs
Basically, I was wondering if there was any way to back up the SD cards into
a single file archive, but with no compression. I never use more than
1.4GBon any card, but would like to have more than 2 options, say 1
for music,
one with photos, one with graphics applications, one with emulators and roms
etc. In the end I would like to automate it so I can switch the contents of
the cards, with a shell script for example. I was kinda hoping dd would give
me an option to only copy until the partition went blank.
The reason for me not wanting any compression is mainly the photos, the
camera on it is crap, but of some use anyway, however if I keep compressing
and uncompressing over and over again, I'm eventually going to end up with
every file being one large pixel.

On a similar note, is it possible to create a filesystem within a file and
mount it with -o loop but not have to set the file size before. I have
managed to create a 4GB ext3 file but was wondering whether it would be
possible to have one with a variable size, the more you put in it, the
bigger it got kinda thing.

Thanks in advance
Nistur