[dundee] Microsoft tactics - Universities

Jason Cormie Jason-lug at wormwood666.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 15 16:28:57 BST 2007

Andrew Clayton wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 14:44:35 +0100, Jason Cormie wrote:
>
>> For the last year we have been on the brink of deploying "Windows
>> Live @ EDU", whereby student email will be hosted by Microsoft,
>> giving much bigger mail quotas than we could ever afford along with
>
> Interesting... as you can put together multi terabyte storage arrays
> pretty cheaply these days.

true, but you also need to employ someone to manage that email system, backup
that data, buy more expensive hardware for reliability( main cheap disk arrays
fall apart under heavy load), license the evil proprietary software,  monitor
it, be on call at weekends to deal with outages, etc.

The true cost is not just the hardware sitting in the datacenter, and as the
open source world knows free (as in beer) is a big incentive for cash strapped
organisations.

--
Jason Cormie