[dundee] Microsoft tactics - Universities

Digit (SG) digit.siljrath at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 17 13:43:00 BST 2007

my terrabyte external was supposed to be my backup... :(   ... now its just
full with all my work and need yet another backup.  oh the woes of space
hungry artwork.

i'd reformat for backup space, my 60gb  that currently holds my multitude of
opperating systems if i thought it would even make a dent.

:D  maybe i should just make 500 free googlemail accounts and use that as an
online hd backup.
http://www.xmailharddrive.com/beta/ (many more versions of this kinda thing
exist)

On 17/09/2007, Lee Hughes <toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> yeah, true you can buy 1TB disk for nothing, but you find the
> case of backup is still expensive, and also time restrained, rember, you
> only  have the nightly cycle to backup data, and yu hit limits with network
> speeds, backup speed etc etc.
>
> how many of you lot have more than 1TB at home,then ask
> the question, how many of you have a offline backup? ;-)
>
> Laters,
> Lee
>

> *James Young <j at jayoung.co.uk>* wrote:
>
> This is getting to be a good post. I'll give me 2 pence worth :-)
>
> There's big Pros and Cons here; You're right - the hardware is only a
> small percentage of the cost. And is in fact decreasing. I mean, you
> can buy a 1TB disk for less than £250.00. Can anyone remember how much
> a 1TB array sold by NCR cost in 1995 ? - £1,000,000.
>
> Power consumption, (e.g. Air Con, physical security, upscaling).
> Overhead costs (Carbon footprint - inc. Personnel)
>
> In personal experience of Microsoft/EDS contracts it looks great - of
> course, the people making the decisions above us don't take the time to
> perceive the costs of the outsource. The outsourcer without fail hits
> the customer with hidden costs (and I don't just mean financial
> folks)... and they own the data on the drives.
>
> It all depends on the goal. For me its simple;
>
> 1) Be Proactive.
> 2) Plan ahead. (Note: not the same as 1.)
> 3) Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
> 4) Learn to be hardware and software agnostic.
> 5)Backup.
>
> Data warehousing is what's coming after the current highly-available
> virtualisation as far as I can see.
>
> You want a disk solution; buy a cheap array from one of the guys that
> the gene-splicers are getting an array from.
>
> Of course, the 'Buy in' from the brass is a problem. Can anyone think of
> ways to make them think that it was their idea?
>
> Jason Cormie wrote:
> > Andrew Clayton wrote:

> >> Interesting... as you can put together multi terabyte storage arrays
> >> pretty cheaply these days.
> >
> > true, but you also need to employ someone to manage that email system,
> > backup that data, buy more expensive hardware for reliability( main
> > cheap disk arrays fall apart under heavy load), license the evil
> > proprietary software, monitor it, be on call at weekends to deal with
> > outages, etc.
> >
> > The true cost is not just the hardware sitting in the datacenter, and
> > as the open source world knows free (as in beer) is a big incentive
> > for cash strapped organisations.
> >
> > --
> > Jason Cormie

> > Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk

The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice. The language is
not Narn, or Human, or Centauri, or Gaim or Minbari. It speaks in the
language of hope; It speaks in the language of trust; It speaks in the
language of strength, and the language of compassion. It is the language of
the heart and the language of the soul. But always, it is the same voice. It
is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, And the voice of our
inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: We
are one. No matter the blood; skin; world; star; We are one. No matter the
pain; darkness; loss; fear; We are one. Here, gathered together in common
cause. we agree to recognise this singular truth, and this singular rule:
That we must be kind to one another, because each voice enriches us and
ennobles us, and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the
Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better
future. We are one.