[dundee] DHCP

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 19:15:38 BST 2007

I forgot, you have choices , I've been in windows mode too long. pump...yeah...

James Le Cuirot <chewi at aura-online.co.uk> wrote: On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 18:42:32 +0100 (BST)
Lee Hughes  wrote:

> does anyone out there know dhcp protocol (well). I found myself
> debugging it today, and err, it's a bit of a nightmare.
>
> I won't go into details, but it's seems the dhcp server is not
> willing to make friends with linux, however the dhcp
> is willing to give leases to windows machines....
>
> anyone ever experienced this on a production network?
>
> and before you ask, I don't know whats running on the
> dhcp server...

Heh not since I was studying abroad in France and that kind of info
doesn't stay in the brain for very long. It barely made it to the exam!

I have had problems with Linux and DHCP in the past in cases where
Windows would work fine but it's been a while since I last saw it
happen. I've seen it happen with routers that I believe were even
running Linux themselves, which is very bizarre. Perhaps try a
different client, there are a few to choose from. Off the top of my
head, there's dhcpcd, udhcpc and pump.

James

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk