[dundee] Gentoo

Digit (SG) digit.siljrath at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 28 19:25:20 BST 2007

its this kinda thing that keeps me as a gui user, and prevents me from what
i see as going BACK to command line.

until comand line is inteligent enough to A) accept any command on at least
some level better than "command not reccognised", and B) be able to talk
back more regularly, verbosely, and just as concisely tho.   or likely only
once C) voice activated.

hi computer
hi Digit, everything is runnin smoothly, all modules loaded.
cool, install all recent downloaded OS ISOs to empty partitions on first hd,
just the way i like them and dl and install any drivers i might need.  make
sure dual monitor is set to the correct resolution and beryl is functioning.

okies Digit, that'll take about 57 minutes to complete these opperations
assuming avg install speed.
cool, then download all music by yes, boards of canada, soffmi muhod,
tortoise, and everything  "Baroque" rated 3 star or above.
okies digit, i'll dowload all the requested files, rename and file them just
how you like.
dir/p
~gui presents list of files in current directory

us lazy learner gui users can dream cant we?

lol

i mean... i'm not talking science fiction here... it's all do-able.
hasnt ther been some voice thingy in kde since 3.4 for this kinda stuff?

<-Watched enough startrek to expect an engineering department deliver all
these things in the same episode it gets dreamt of.

On 28/09/2007, James Le Cuirot < chewi at aura-online.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:05:53 +0100
> "Kris Davidson" < davidson.kris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It only takes three commands to install Gentoo!
> >
> > cfdisk /dev/hda && mkfs.xfs /dev/hda1 && mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/
> > && chroot /mnt/gentoo/ && env-update && . /etc/profile && emerge sync
> > && cd /usr/portage && scripts/bootsrap.sh && emerge system && emerge
> > vim && vi /etc/fstab && emerge gentoo-dev-sources && cd /usr/src/linux
> > && make menuconfig && make install modules_install && emerge gnome
> > mozilla-firefox openoffice && emerge grub && cp
> > /boot/grub/grub.conf.sample /boot/grub/grub.conf && vi
> > /boot/grub/grub.conf && grub && init 6
> >
> > That was the first one :)
> >
> > Apologies to all Gentoo users.
>
> Bloody cheek! =P
>
> Regards,
> Die-hard Gentoo User

The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice. The language is
not Narn, or Human, or Centauri, or Gaim or Minbari. It speaks in the
language of hope; It speaks in the language of trust; It speaks in the
language of strength, and the language of compassion. It is the language of
the heart and the language of the soul. But always, it is the same voice. It
is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, And the voice of our
inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: We
are one. No matter the blood; skin; world; star; We are one. No matter the
pain; darkness; loss; fear; We are one. Here, gathered together in common
cause. we agree to recognise this singular truth, and this singular rule:
That we must be kind to one another, because each voice enriches us and
ennobles us, and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the
Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better
future. We are one.