[dundee] Taylug Weekly Articles 8 - POMS

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 2 11:52:12 GMT 2008

Hi Bruces & Sheilas,
This week there has been a major Linux conference in Australia where
the many of this week's  articles are coming from. This conference has
a lot of big names involved, including Linus Torvalds. There has been
a lot of acquisitions or potential acquisitions in the news recently,
these events have been concerning open source code and proprietary
code companies. Is the world of I.T. being polarised between open
source and proprietary code? A standoff between the giants of I.T,
Microsoft and Google?We shall see what develops over the coming
months.

P – Programming
Barry Carr is going to be giving a talk about regular expressions at
the next Abertay Linux meeting, he is a programmer and I promised him
articles about programming:
Ruby on Rails – Is this programming language intoxicating as Veronica on Vodka?
http://fairleads.blogspot.com/2008/01/this-is-second-part-of-my-series.html
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/techjournal/0801_shillington/0801_shillington.html?ca=dgr-lnxw02aRoRWebSphereP1&S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=GR
http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/01/31/netbeans_ruby_part_one/

O.K. Barry you got a high from the above now the low, I know you do
not like PHP but life is a roller coaster ride:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-php-regex2/?ca=dgr-lnxw02PHP-regex

Perl, this language is a bit of a gem.
http://www.cio.com/article/175450

Python, this versatile language is being used more and more by Linux
programmers.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Getting-ready-for-the-Python-breakage/0,130061733,339285578,00.htm

Linux UML modeling.
http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/01/29/linux_uml_modeling/

O – Open Source:
A couple of interviews from Linus, and if people want to know what
Linus uses on his workstation, it is a Fedora box with a KDE desktop,
he has excellent taste:
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Torvalds-Linux-is-ready-to-go-green/0,130061733,339285555,00.htm
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;444282619

The Linux kernel.
http://apcmag.com/7924/the_future_of_the_linux_kernel_and_what_it_tells_us_about_wikipedia

KDE.
http://dot.kde.org/1201744216/
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;885892575;pp;1

Open source is buzzing, can anyone stop the march of the penguins? In a word NO!
http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1957

Here is Jono Bacon of lugradio (this is for Arron).
http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=428&blogid=14

Continuing the Daniel Robbins/Gentoo drama.
http://blog.funtoo.org/2008/01/i-did-seriously-consider-it.html

Linux youtube?
http://www.lintube.com/

M - Microsoft
Big noises by this company, Bill was in the U.K. for his last visit
before retiring. Where were you last Thursday Bill?, we had graciously
invited you to our meetings. Just to show how we Linux folks are fair
and balanced in our reporting here are some articles about your
company Bill, giving it free publicity! You do not need to thank us
for this:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/good-bill-bad-bill-and-art-philanthropy
http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1142
http://siryes.blogspot.com/2008/01/microsoft-is-like-matrix.html

Taking money from non tech-savvy users.
http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/01/30/is-windows-vista-making-geek-squad-rich/

Smear campaign?
http://linuxhow2.com/News/Microsoft_runs_Linux_Smear_Campaign.html

A Prediction?
http://linuxhow2.com/Feature_Articles/In_the_Year_2020.html

S – Security
Jason was talking about rootkits, this article might help all Linux users:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-check-linux-rootkist-with-detectors-software/

Here is an answer to Vista's claims.
http://opsamericas.com/?p=565

Anyway that is it for this week.