[dundee] Taylug Weekly Articles 8 - POMS

Gary Short gary at garyshort.org
Sat Feb 2 23:21:33 GMT 2008

Tim Spencer wrote:
> to this 'discussion' i just want to add, since i have been reading

Why do you put the word discussion in quote marks, are we not having a
discussion?

> it seems to me gary that u pick a topic and always look at it from a
> wired angle.

I don't think its a weird angle to look at it to say that bugs, in and
of themselves, are not security threats; it's the percentage of the bugs
that can be exploited to overcome the security that matters. If a system
has 100 bugs that do not compromise security and another has 1 that
does, I know which one I'd think is more secure.

> The underlying problem is that microsoft or as often refered to M(cant
> find my doolar sign) is profit orianted their ideal is to get people
> hooked and hooked good e.g. paying money for something u have and even
> more for a useless upgrade and they seem to have problems stating their
> upgrades i.e. what they upgrade.

Again this discussion has has moved very quickly to the MS bashing
phase, hey no worries, but the point I'm making is just as valid if you
are talking about two open source system - I'll still take the one with
the 100 bugs if none of them compromise security.

--
Cheers,
Gary