[dundee] Taylug Weekly Articles 8 - POMS

Tim Spencer samurai.mit at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 23:47:13 GMT 2008

1. I though a discussin was a exchaning of opinions to come to the truth of
the subject but we are somhow focused on one argument same as the OLPC one,
this is what i meant with strange angle.
2. I was refereing to Ms not in a bashing way but rather to the method it
uses to develope its software, as in i am bashing the methos not the company
itself ( nobody can argue that ms has achieved somthing just look at its net
profit and since its in a country which is under the impression of being
capitalistik, and the hart of capitalism is that every individual can earn
money). now the way that ms get rid of security holes is by users telling
them of a problem, now if u have more users the more bugs u get. but if u r
intelligent and report a bug sometimes they dont listen( i think one guy
reported a bug for 3 years wasnt listened to and then wrote a virus and the
hole got fixed in one day but infected loads of pc's) linux hasnt reached
the stage of millions of users yet but a good example for its engagement in
bugs would be openbsd.
3. No one disputes that a system with a major bug is not as good as a one
with 100 week ones but i once heared sombody saying that the simple bugs
hide the big ones.
4. now what i was refering to that since ms is a company who has to secure
its many costomers it has to have some level of security now ms forces major
companies to jump on the band wagon called vista simply because it has
seased its support for xp (i think).
5. the best scurity is by obscurity. since as albert einstein once said
"only 2 things in life are infinite human stupidity and the universe but i
am not sure about the second". there will always be bugs

good luck and good nigth
tim