[dundee] Linux vs Vista Gameing

azmodie azmodie at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 17:54:41 GMT 2008

> I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick here, but this article
> seems to be saying that Wine runs games designed for XP better than
> Vista. The Vista team took the opportunity to ditch a shed load of
> legacy code, code which is in XP and harks back the the 16 bit days.
> Wine, if you get right down to it, is a (very good) XP emulator. So this
> article says, Vista (minus a lot of XP code) doesn't run games designed
> for XP as well as an XP emulator does. Umm, well no, I'm sure it
> doesn't; to be honest I'd be surprised if it did, wouldn't you?
>
> Add the fact that there are many commenters that say the games work just
> fine under Vista for them, and it begins to look like there's not much
> actual insight in this article.
>
> Of course, I could have gotten the wrong end of the stick.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Gary
> http://www.garyshort.org

admittedly the article is not the most accurate depiction of gaming on linux
or vista. although it is one users experience.

i think the question realy is :  What experience have other users had of
gaming on linux, with respect to windows or not ?

as W.I.N.E. ( Windows Is Not Emulated ) is a  project to  write its own
libraries for windows programs there is scope for comparison. This may be
better suited to comparison with Win XP.

as far as vista having less legacy code and hence less support for older
games. I believe this is a big mistake for M$ as many gamers have large
collections of older games they continue to play again and again.

There have been many complaints in many different forums sighting vistas
incompatibility with even some of the latest games.

As i said earlier, my interest is not vistas gaming capability but in
linux's ability.

Azmodie
--
Umbrella Corporation :-
"They are the fear within all of that there is a company. The Corporation