[dundee] Database front end - any ideas?

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 8 19:00:05 GMT 2008

currently investigating

ruby on rails (looks very interesting)

and python django (looks very interesting)

I can't see why we can't just use mysql, it's a lot easier for me to
develop with it, you can always scale up to oracle later.

I'll play around with it this weekend, and I'll see what results I get

failing that, back to php?  and stick a web framework on it?

so many options..!!!!!!!!!!! where to start!!!!!

any got an example code for any technologies??? ,

thanks to everyone who's replied so far!!!  and I mean everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan at gmail.com> wrote: On 08/02/2008, Gary Short  wrote:
> Simon Wells wrote:
> > Although if the idea of the project is for them to learn something about
> > databases then using a tool that does the heavy lifting might be
> > counterproductive. Bearing in mind that the tools that we would actually
> > choose for real world development are often quite different to the ones
> > selected for pedagogical use in a teaching and learning situation.
> >
> > Simon
>
> True, but once you've done the CRUD stuff once, there's little point in
> having to redo it over and over as your db schema changes as the project
> moves forwards, best leave that to the framework and concentrate on the
> parts of the sql that make the project what it is.

The danger here is that depending on your domain and application there
maybe no SQL to write.... e.g. a simple blog in rails is likely not to
need much (if any) SQL.

R.

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk