[dundee] Microsoft Bullying & Hypocracy

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 8 22:58:00 GMT 2008

I am showing you all the Microsoft bullying & hypocrisy as a scientist
making observations. Two years ago I gave a presentation at Abertay
about the OLPC, highlighting Nicholas Negroponte's concepts and ideas
regarding low cost laptops and Linux and how he would use it for
educational purposes in third world countries. Microsoft scoffed at
these ideas putting him down, hardware manufacturers like Intel, Asus,
Everex etc. started copying his ideas producing low cost laptops with
Linux operating systems in response to consumer demand by individuals
in developed countries, he in a way has started a bit of a revolution
here. We are not talking about education in relation to teachers and
students, we are talking about commercial companies jumping on the
bandwagon in response to consumer demand. So Microsoft seeing his idea
is really changing things globally changing course in order to protect
their own interests and monopoly.
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Windows/Microsoft-Upbeat-about-Windows-on-the-OLPCs-XO/

After watching Revolution O.S. showed by Arron, how much is the
present is being mirrored by the past. I am an open source person
because as a trained scientist if you have a concept or idea:
you configure a practical experiment;
carry it out making scientific observations;
do data analysis;
write up your findings;
submit your paper to journal;
peer reviewed by three referees;
accepted after recommended modifications;
paper is published;
other scientists can build other ideas and experiments based upon your paper.
Truly open source is within science where knowledge and experience is
shared by all.
Microsoft is only out to control you and your computer.
Has Microsoft provided cures for cancer?
Has Microsoft solved the Global warming problem? (only Linux super
computers can come up with reasonable calculations)
Has Microsoft solved potential problems in the release of genetically
modified organisms within the environment? (No! Fortran programs in
Unix using mathematical models was used, re my Ph.D.)

What point I am trying to make is that as a trained scientist
Microsoft is preventing knowledge and experience to be spread about
the world that is why Scientific Linux was started (based upon Red
Hat0 and is used within many scientific institutions.