[dundee] Taylug Weekly Articles 10 - OLPCS

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 16 11:37:21 GMT 2008

Hi All,
Here is the Gnu's, sorry! I mean news for this week. As you know the
OLPC's are coming to Abertay this week completing the final leg from
Glasgow to Dundee at last from the good ol U.S.A. Thanks again to Jen
for her organisation and hardwork, and to the Abertay Linux Society
and Taylug for all their help. Finally an official welcome to Pete
from Gnufoundland, sorry! Newfoundland in Canada.

O – Open Source:
To start the news it will be Gnu's 25 th birthday this year.
http://fsfe.org/en/fellows/ciaran/ciaran_s_free_software_notes/gnu_s_upcoming_25_year_anniversary

This is the state of open source within the U.K.
http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/02/13/a-sad-state-of-affairs-open-source-in-the-uk/

Europe is now stating open source is important.
http://www.linux.com/feature/126700

The open source community in Europe is having a conference in Belgium
where there are interviews with the main speakers.
http://fosdem.org/2008/interviews

Our brothers and sisters at SCALE in the U.S.A. show how open source
can be used regarding airlines.
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36036/113/

Sri Lanka wants the OLPC's and also an article on how they are tested.
http://www.sundaytimes.lk/080210/FinancialTimes/ft310.html
http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/farmer-gives-lowcost-laptop-a-proper-field-test/2008/02/11/1202578700580.html

A new version of Drupal, the web content manager, is out.
http://drupal.org/drupal-6.0
http://www.packtpub.com/article/installing-drupal-themes

A slant on the Microsoft/Yahoo affair.

L – Linux:
Andrew Morton wants more quality control in the Linux kernel.
http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/02/-linux-next-begins-to-take-sha.html
http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Tracking_Upcoming_Stable_Merges

Online Linux beta testing!
http://linuxtestdrive.org/

A method of recovering deleted files in Linux.
http://www.linux.com/feature/126525

Parted Magic, a disk partitioner.
http://www.linuxseekers.com/content/view/248/1/

P - Programming
The sharing of class libraries irrespective of programming language.
http://advice.cio.com/esther_schindler/a_little_som_thing

Source code search engines.
http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/archives/080212-104825.html

C – Charismatic people:
Starting off we have to see the rare videos of the legendary Jon "maddog" Hall.
http://www.linux.com/feature/126961

An couple of interviews with Jim "jumbo jet" Whitehurst on databases,
Oracle and virtualisation, I suggest giving Larry a Red Hat t-shirt
with a "We all love you" message.
http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3728026
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/020708-ceo-jim-whitehurst-pilots-red.html

S – Security:
How to protect your system.
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/134248?rdf

A howto on the popular software firewall Firestarter.
http://www.techthrob.com/tech/firestarter.php

This is for people who use ssh.
http://www.debianadmin.com/ssh-key-authentication-using-seahorse-gui.html

For the ethical hackers, hiding information in a binary?
http://jbakshi.50webs.com/Linux_tutorial/Steganography/PRACTICAL%20STEGANOGRAPHY%20-%20PART-I.html

Gordon
Taylug Administrator