[dundee] Fwd: DCA Dialogue: how to build a mind

Simon Wells swells at computing.dundee.ac.uk
Tue Feb 19 12:14:03 GMT 2008

The forwarded message describes an event happening in the DCA
tomorrow night that some of you might find interesting. Chris and
Jesse are both colleagues of mine in the school of computing and
should host an entertaining talk. Both of them are Linux users but
the meeting itself is about A.I.

I thought it might be of interest to some of you in the 'LUG.

Simon

Dr. Simon Wells
----------------------
swells at computing.dundee.ac.uk
School of Computing, Queen Mother Building, University of Dundee,
Dundee, DD1 4HN.
Tel: +44 (0)1382 386 526
Fax: +44 (0)1382 385 509 (FAO: Simon Wells)
http://xev.computing.dundee.ac.uk/swells/html/home.html

Begin forwarded message:

> Please join us tomorrow night for a public discussion about
> artificial intelligence, history, current research, and prospects,
> led by Chris Reed and I.   See below or http://www.dca.org.uk/
> events/talks.asp for more details and to book a spot.
>
> Jesse
>

> DCA/VRC Dialogue
>
> Wednesday 20 February 2008
> 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
> DCA Meeting Room
>
> How to Build a Mind
>
> Chris Reed and Jesse Hoey
>
> Artificial Intelligence is about building systems that mimic or
> improve upon traits traditionally seen as uniquely human. But with
> computer grandmasters now commonplace, new challenges dominate the
> area. One thing, though, hasn't changed. The field is still, after
> half a century, driven by a fundamental debate about whether or not
> we need symbols in order to engineer intelligent systems.

believed to be clean.