[dundee] (Dundee) storing and using GEOSPATIAL data

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 22:49:22 GMT 2008

R? hmm..

Talk was interesting, http://www.colinmckay.net if you need any info.

Went a little over my head in places, an interesting talk never the less.

I wonder how long your open source db's will take to integrate these
extensions.

Does geospatial awareness belong in a database?

do you make a database really clever? and app's stupid

or do you make app's clever, and database stupid?

Out of all the microsoft product range, I must say I like sql server
the best, one of the few databases that has had a complete rewrite!!!!

Open source it today!!!

Laters,
Lee

jamie <linux at riach.eu> wrote: I've been playing with the R language and spatial statistics on linux
        for a few years. This language also has a windows port, although
        I am not sure if all the SP extensions are available. As usual
        the
        proprietary nature of ARCview or Mapinfo formats need plugins
        that
        escape the protection of American corporate lawyers, so
        if .NET/Mono
        makes it easier to access the info that has to be a plus. I had
        noticed that MS excel (and hence probably access) can use native
        GIS formats but is a B**g*r to make decent graphics in, or tie
        in other data.R can do topographic, 3d or spacial bar graphs
        with relative ease and is recommended with S-stat as the only
        two statistical packages to be correct with large weighted
        social data sets by the National Statistics
        Chief Statistician.

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk