[dundee] archive/backup my /home to DVD help please

christopher wyllie cgwyllie at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 24 18:02:24 GMT 2008

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this has been covered before(as it probably has) but I can't find
the thread

Basically I need to backup my /home/christopher folder before I send my
laptop away to be serviced. I only have DVDs available at the moment.

How is best(abd nist reliable) to do this from a recovery point of view
also?

Can someone list the sort of commands I would need to use for this? Should I
tar it and then split the tar? (If so please explain how :P)

I have ~20GB data and a pack of 10 DVDs.

Any help VERY much appreciated as I have to backup tonight as my laptop goes
tomorrow. (Yes I would have done this sooner but my external drive has
become lost in shipping or something like it... :( )

Thanks all!
  Chris