[dundee] Image hard drive to file

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Mon Feb 25 13:40:43 GMT 2008

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:14:33 +0000 (GMT), Lee Hughes wrote:

> I'd go with that...
>
> I should of said, you can't use dd to image a mounted filesystem
> without the risk of corrupting you data.

To expand that further. If you dd an in use file system then you may
not get an image that matches 100%. You shouldn't cause corruption of
the file system being imaged of course, mounted or otherwise. This
would likely be a bug.

> how's that....
>
> Anyone else for an argument about semantics? send email to /dev/null.
>
> ..Sorry about the low SNR Gordon, but if someone going to talk
> nonsense, I will have to correct them.

The only nonsense was your simplistic claim. Which has been corrected.

Andrew