[dundee] user mount locations

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Mon Feb 25 15:12:46 GMT 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 02:48:24PM +0000, Nistur wrote:
> I'm sorry, I wrote the post when I was very tired and was being
> deliberately vague as I knew my project was a pointless endeavor and I
> didn't know if I'd continue with it. Basically I'm writing a script to
> mount a loopback filesystem (probably ext3) temporarily, run the contents
> (by default the same as the name of the loopback file) and unmount it,
> basically I think I'm going to use it for backing up my previous projects
> more neatly as I can keep them as one "file" and still run and edit them
> without having to go through the whole untar, make changes/run, re-tar etc.
> I have tried in a 777 directory, I've made sure the loopback file is 777
> (777 just for testing, would be reduced once it worked) it's still saying
> that only root may mount.

You might be able to do that with pmount, by putting an appropriate
glob in /etc/pmount.allow. Looking at the man page the policy
requirement for the device to mount being a block device in /dev
might cause problems, you could try sticking a link in /dev to where
the files actually are.

Alternatively I think you can set sudo to not ask for passwords for
certain commands, so you can allow your user to run mount, and add an
alias or a small script to simplify the command.

      Robert