[dundee] Chrome://

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 14:19:16 GMT 2008

2008/2/27 Arron M Finnon <afinnon at googlemail.com>:
> Well yeah i ken about lighting, but the two reason that i asked about
>  sunbird was not to do with having a calendar as such, but just to test
>  what could be done with chrome, and secondly sunbird has bi-directional
>  support for google calendar.  I'll probably find out after this email
>  that lightning has bi-directional support for google calendar now.
>
>  It's not a major issue, just thought it was an interesting.  Imagine
>  Rick is right about having to hack away, but i may get my lazy ass over
>  to mozilla's dev forum and ask there.

If you do this, be sure to report back on your findings.  I keep
meaning to investigate the "Mozilla as platform" space more thoroughly
but am constantly distracted by other things.  As an aside, I'm
particularly interested in the possibilities behind XULRunner and
Prism.

>  Cheers geezer, any more tips and tricks with chrome would be cool.

I don't really have any...  But if on your quest you discover how to
get Firefox dialogs and windows such as downloads, save as,
preferences etc... to render inside a new tab (and then switch to it)
I'd be interested.  I sometimes find with so many virtual desktops etc
that I lose these windows and have to manually find them.

>  BTW what do you guys think of the new site?

Yes, the new site seems good and certainly an improvement over the
last one! :-)  Personally though I tend to find web based message
boards and forums annoying, so I'm a little concerned about running
them in parallel to the mailing list...  As it seems this will only
lead to a splintered community.  Finding a way to incorporate and
render the mailing list directly on the site in place of the web forum
would IMHO be preferable.

I'm also not convinced that the organisation of tutorials and tips is
in any way optimal.  Would a wiki not be better for organising and
maintaining this sort of content?

The tips especially tend to be small one liners, and having to click
and view them individually seems a burden.  Additionally much of the
content is (currently) overwhelmed by the sites structure and
navigation.

I don't mean to be too critical as the site looks pretty good, I'm
just not sure whether in it's current form it is the most effective
way to unify a community and gather knowledge and contributions.

Is the combination of Wiki + Mailing List not better for this sort of thing?

--
Rick Moynihan
rick.moynihan at gmail.com
http://sourcesmouth.co.uk/blog/