[dundee] Chrome://

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 27 16:03:12 GMT 2008

http://drupal.org/project/wiki

seems to do the job, I'll volunteer for intergrating...

send me some ssh keys...

and I'll start randomly writing rm -rf <insert directory here>

all over the server.

Perhaps I'll show you my super cow (copy on write) powers for
doing online upgrades/ down grades.

mwmwmwhahhaahha.

p.s. I'm not in charge, I just clean desk(tops) around here.

Andrew Clayton <andrew at digital-domain.net> wrote: On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:19:13 +0000, Rick Moynihan wrote:

> Yes, the new site seems good and certainly an improvement over the
> last one! :-)  Personally though I tend to find web based message
> boards and forums annoying, so I'm a little concerned about running

Yes, I'm no fan of them either.

> them in parallel to the mailing list...  As it seems this will only
> lead to a splintered community.  Finding a way to incorporate and
> render the mailing list directly on the site in place of the web forum
> would IMHO be preferable.
>
> I'm also not convinced that the organisation of tutorials and tips is
> in any way optimal.  Would a wiki not be better for organising and
> maintaining this sort of content?

We used to have a wiki at www.dundee.lug.org.uk. Unfortunately it was
never setup to require registration so got continually spammed.

> The tips especially tend to be small one liners, and having to click
> and view them individually seems a burden.  Additionally much of the
> content is (currently) overwhelmed by the sites structure and
> navigation.
>
> I don't mean to be too critical as the site looks pretty good, I'm
> just not sure whether in it's current form it is the most effective
> way to unify a community and gather knowledge and contributions.
>
> Is the combination of Wiki + Mailing List not better for this sort of
> thing?

I think I would agree.

Andrew

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk