[dundee] NoHelpDesk

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 15 22:15:56 GMT 2008

The thing is, it is all about bums on seats and pass rate at
Universities just now to get funding, all Scottish Universities love
overseas students for the money it brings in. Everyone knows there has
been a dumbing down of degrees at all Universities in the U.K.,
quantity and funding generation has been sacrificed for quality. This
is just not happening at Abertay, this is happening all over .
Principals and Deans of Universities have got to work by Government
and Scottish Office guidelines and look at the best way to massage
(not manage) the budget best as possible, so everyone's hands are a
bit tied so to speak.  Arguments can go round in circles in what are
the best tactics, there is no easy solution. One lecturer who is
retiring at Abertay at the end of the Academic session, says that the
amount of time doing paperwork is cutting down the time for lecturing
and doing research (he is always moaning about it). I suppose people
try to do best within the system and also try to protect their own
ass, why teach something new if there is no demand or funding even
though starting up a module or course can trigger demand (catch 22).
Anyway, my mate at the moment, is doing research at Abertay regards
courses, modules & funding at Scottish Universities, a nightmare task
( I wouldn't like to do this). So I think everyone is getting short
changed at the moment.

Gordon