[dundee] First Love

Nistur nistur at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 18 21:33:55 GMT 2008

Ok, double entry for me here.
With computers in General, my "first love" was an IBM running MS-DOS
with Norton Commander that I got "donated" from my Dad's work. I must've
been about 6ish at the time. I know very little about it other than that
(and that I had a cool submarine game I was terrible at but I enjoyed
the animation when I got sunk as the periscope got cracked and the
screen filled up with purple "water")
In terms of Linux, I was first given Mandrake 9.2 when I did work
experience in High School (age 15) I didn't touch it much, I
occasionally booted as it was faster than my XP install, but obviously
didn't play the games... I don't think I got an awful lot from there, it
would have only been later, when I switched to Fedora Core 2 I think it
was that I really began fiddling and what better place to fiddle than
the terminal? I know it's a general thing that every operating system
has somewhere, but I just found the bash shell a lot of fun, I guess it
kind of reminded me of my first PC, with the sharp contrast of the
"Here's your computer, here's what you can do with it" of Windows XP. I
doubt there is a single moment you will catch me at my computer without
a console open (especially now I have one "embedded" into my Desktop
with the help of Compiz)

Nistur
Microsoft - "What do you want to do today?" [OK] [CANCEL]
Linux - "dotoday --with-user bob --include /usr/local/friends --dest-dir
/local/pub --recursive --license free --verbose --ignore-user root
--ignore-time-conflict"