[dundee] Ubuntu Install RAID 1 + LVM is a no go..

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 31 18:43:47 BST 2008

Hi Kris,

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 04:38:44PM +0100, Kris Davidson wrote:
> Urgh, I don't want this to become an Emacs vs Vi style argument, but I
> truly hate software RAID.  Its like Webmin, if it works for you and
> doesn't corrupt anything well great but when it does well your
> screwed.

I have been on the linux-raid mailing list for many years, where
people post their stories of woe when their disks die etc..  While
there have been a couple of occasions where bugs in the md driver
have caused problems, I have never seen anyone lose their data due
to such an issue.

> The thing with hardware RAID is its not like buying cheap
> non-branded memory you need to make a reasonable upfront
> investment in the hardware.

The quality of the hardware is not usually the issue with hardware
RAID.  The main problem is that if your hardware RAID card breaks
then you need to buy another exactly the same in order to get access
to your data again.  If you're lucky then newer versions are backward
compatible so you can safely buy a newer card, but this isn't
guaranteed and I've seen many people get bitten.

After all of that, it often performs worse than software RAID.

I do use hardware RAID a lot for certain requirements, mainly
reliable hot swap and heavy random write environments.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB