[dundee] Linux Laptop

Digit (SG) digit.siljrath at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 16 16:26:18 BST 2008

pricewatch.com  ...it's handy just for getting a gauge on the prices of
things.   as can be google's shopping search.
ebay.co.uk  it's obvious though right?
emperorlinux.com  linux laptops!   i think they do slackware among their
selection.  their kernels they ship are enhanced in house for laptops.
http://www.linux-laptop.net/ a site i just found.   might be of help. (?)

i have just recently completed doing some laptop shopping myself, having
been looking around for a few weeks.
being an artist, i have gone for an ibm/lenovo x60 thinkpad ... the tablet
version.
i bought it cheap of ebay (just over £600), rather than full price(+) from
emperor to get the linux os fully kitted out for use with the specific
hardware's features.  which i may still get somehow... if emperor would get
back to me.

you can get amazing hardware for less than £500 these days.

the basic jist i got from forums i searched was that ibm, dell and corporate
compaq laptops were considered of the best quality, toshiba and consumer
marketed compaq laptops were to be avoided, and there were mixed but
generally positive opinions on asus and others.

all the best.

2008/6/15 John¹ <seago.john at googlemail.com>:

> My Daughter has moved into a cottage of her own, tomorrow the phone will be
> connected, and as last Thursday was her birthday I have offered to buy her
> a laptop and router, (this latter dependent on broadband being available
> in her village outside Inverness.
>
> The minimum specs need to be minimum 14" screen, DVD drive, mains electic
> input via whatever thingy that needs, and a socket she can plug a mouse
> into as she doesn't like touchpads. I need to be able to get Linux to run
> on it, preferably Slackware 12.1, if the hard drive's big enough I'd like
> to get it to dual boot, (which seems from what I've heard to preclude
> Vista), although I may need help with that as I ditched Microsoft
> completely and have used Slackware exclusively since version 7. Hence the
> reason for it being capable of running some form of Linux as I can
> probably fix minor glitches by with Microsoft, I be as t eh mercy of
> some 'tech help' somewhere.  I'll also need a non-wireless route, (which
> seem to be a dying breed), and I'd really like the lot to come to about
> £500·00, but we can go higher for better quality, all suggestions welcome.
> --
> John Seago
> GNU/Linux Registered User No. #219566 http://counter.li.org/
> () ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail - against microsoft
> attachments
> /\

The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice. The language is
not Narn, or Human, or Centauri, or Gaim or Minbari. It speaks in the
language of hope; It speaks in the language of trust; It speaks in the
language of strength, and the language of compassion. It is the language of
the heart and the language of the soul. But always, it is the same voice. It
is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, And the voice of our
inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: We
are one. No matter the blood; skin; world; star; We are one. No matter the
pain; darkness; loss; fear; We are one. Here, gathered together in common
cause. we agree to recognise this singular truth, and this singular rule:
That we must be kind to one another, because each voice enriches us and
ennobles us, and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the
Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better
future. We are one.