[dundee] OLPC's - Factory build 650

azmodie azmodie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 14:00:32 BST 2008

nice one gordon, it was about time we updated them. thanks for doing this.

would be nice to have a small tutorial/short article on site of what you did
to update them. maybe short list of changes u noticed etc..(optional)

thanks Kris. F.

azmodie.

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:49 AM, gordon dunlop <astrozubenel at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> I have just got the 2 OLPC's to play around with (last on the list).
> With the factory default build version 650 WPA is not working (nobody
> mentioned this). An internet connection can be made via a USB wired
> ethernet as the Fedora operating system picks it up O.K. The only
> problem here is that an internet update only works with build version
> 653 or higher, due to a bug in the OLPC-update rpm. An updated rpm can
> be downloaded and rpm forced to correct this. I decided that I wanted
> to update the firmware and o.s. image to the latest stable build (703)
> via USB. I down loaded the image etc. and it only took 10 minutes to
> do the upgrading via USB, nice and simple, I had to put on the
> activities separately via USB as this was not included with the o.s.
> image, I used the latest activity version and the menu bar looks a lot
> better. So now we have both laptops updated to the latest versions and
> WPA is working perfectly. To update the o.s. in the future,  all you
> have to do now is open up the terminal:
> $ su -l
> $ olpc-update <version no.>
>
> Gordon

Umbrella Corporation :-
"They are the fear within all of that there is a company. The Corporation
controlling everything that is Umbrella.
A combination of Microsoft and the US Military. At some level there is a
board of directors who meet once a
month and decide all of our fates."
-- Jeremy Bolt - Producer - Resident Evil : Apocalypse