[dundee] having a conversation with your OS

Colin Brough Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 21:13:37 GMT 2008

> TEXT SYNTHESIS
> (the kind thats integrated with the OS)
>
> so... supposedly KDE has had stuff like this for a wee whiley now....
> (kmouth, ksayit, kttsmgr)
>
> anyone use this already?
>
> i've yet to find where to get a voice ("talker") for it.  and i havnt seen
> where the voice reccognition stuff is at.

"festival" is the best speech synthesis software out there - from
Edinburgh Uni's Centre for Speech Technology research, and in the
Ubuntu repositories at least. You can get various voices, male,
female, American, etc...

How integrated it is I don't know - you can often replace the various
beeps the OS gives with an equivalent speech command:

	echo "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that" | festival --tts

etc.

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough                             Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk