[dundee] iptables nuances and best practices question

Robert Ladyman it at file-away.co.uk
Mon Oct 6 10:57:13 UTC 2008

"OpenDNS earns a portion of its revenue by resolving a domain name to an
OpenDNS server when the name is not otherwise defined in DNS. This has the
effect that if a user types a nonexistent name in a URL in a web browser, the
user sees an OpenDNS search page"

In other words, if the name is not valid, you still get a 'valid' reply: not
much use if you are trying to PING test, or for services other than http/s. If
the name is not extant, you should receive a 'fail' signal, not a 'success'.
As you might have noticed, I've nothing against earning money but I object to
this sort of standards-corruption.

RJL

--

Robert Ladyman
File-Away Limited, 32 Church Street, Newtyle