[dundee] Media/MP3 Player Recommendations

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 13:40:53 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm looking for a replacement for my old MP3 Player (30gb iPod 5th Gen
- running Rockbox), as it's recently given up and died.  Overall I've
been disappointed at the reliability of Apples hardware; and I'd
really not like to be forced to purchase another.  However it looks
like the competition is pretty poor.

I don't care much for watching videos, so don't really want to pay a
significant premium for a device to handle video; but I do want lots
of space as I download and listen to lots of podcasts and audio
lectures, plus I have a large music collection.  So my ideal device
will:

- Be Linux compatible & Support the transfer of audio through a simple
copy (via USB Mass Storage) to the devices filesystem.  i.e. no stupid
proprietary software to make things difficult.
- Preferably have 100GB+ storage (and no less than 60gb))
- Be small and compact enough to fit in a trouser pocket.
- Optionally Support FLAC encoding
- Optionally be able to run Rockbox (not so important if I can upload
files with a simple copy).

Can anyone recommend any such device?  It seems the MP3 Player market
is in dire straights just now, and is fascinated with flash based
storage and devices with about 8gb storage :-(

--
Rick Moynihan
rick.moynihan at gmail.com
http://sourcesmouth.co.uk/