[dundee] Erlang Talk

Barry Carr barry at benericht.co.uk
Mon Oct 13 11:45:06 UTC 2008

Hi Guys,

Just a line to remind you good people that Rick is doing a talk for Scottish Developers on Wednesday
on the functional programming language Erlang. The venue is the usual place, The Queen Mother
Building at Dundee Uni. Please note that we will be starting slightly later at 19:30 'cos the uni
have a function going on before we start.

The abstract and Rick's bio are below. And here is a link to all our current events:

http://www.eventbrite.com/org/75001360?s=1005364

See you there.

Cheers
Barry

Description

The future is coming... A utopian dream where multi-core computers can do thousands of things
simultaneously.

The catch? In this concurrent world, we programmers aren't equipped with the language tools
necessary to harness this power. Locks, semaphores, and mutexes are brittle, uncompasable and prove
almost impossible to implement correctly, without leading to disastrous bugs such as race conditions
or deadlock.

As we face our multi-core, distributed future the need for Erlang is clear. A high level symbolic
language with built in support for concurrency, distribution and fault tolerance.

In this talk you'll learn how Erlang discards traditional imperative assumptions, such as mutable
data, liberating you to write programs that can scale to efficiently use thousands of cores
concurrently!

Speaker Biography

Having been interested in computing and innovation since an early age, it's hardly surprising Rick
work's as a Software Engineer. Always, an evangelist for free and open source software, Rick has
built many systems professionally on these foundations, and occasionally finds the time to make
small contributions to a variety of projects.

Rick works for a small sofrware house in Dundee, where he develops context based communication
software, distributed systems and engages in relevant contract work.