[dundee] vsound?

Dan Bolser dan.bolser at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 15:31:12 UTC 2008

On 12/10/2008, James Le Cuirot <chewi at aura-online.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 16:48:48 +0100
> "Dan Bolser" <dan.bolser at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone make vsound work?
> >
> > I'm trying things like "vsound xmms" but it always fails with the
> > message:
>
> I've never heard of vsound before but using XMMS these days is a
> liability. It's just too old. Please use Audacious instead, it looks
> just the same but is actively maintained and less buggy.
>
> I've looked at vsound. It seems to be just as ancient. There is probably
> a much better way of doing what you're trying to do. For starters, it
> seems to use OSS rather than ALSA. OSS emulation should work here and
> there is nothing wrong with OSS itself but you're probably using ALSA
> and so an ALSA-based solution would be preferable in this case.
> Audacious (and XMMS) have a file writer plugin. This bypasses the sound
> system entirely and is therefore a much more reliable solution. Most
> people do this kind of thing with ffmpeg or mplayer though. What is it
> that you're trying to record and what format do you want it to be in?

There's the rub... Ive been given links to all kinds of crappy
streaming formats from a conference I recently attended. Seems that
they are not subscribing to the idea that 'information wants to be
free' - to that end I am trying to give it a helping hand by capping
the vids.

A selection of the type of thing I want can be found here:

http://leadingstrand.cshl.edu

(click 'Open Access' - those crazy hippies!)

The actual content that I want to cap has the extra 'joy' of requiring
authentication and a lovely 25 hour limit on view time (thats really
good considering there are 50 hours of lectures).

Sadly xvidcap isn't capping sound on my system... running vsound was a
way to grab sound, but also an exploration for something similar for
video ... (I don't like the way xvidcap prevents me using the box for
anything else).

Any suggestions warmly welcome!!!

Dan.

http://network.nature.com/profile/dan