[dundee] vsound?

Dan Bolser dan.bolser at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 16:58:42 UTC 2008

On 13/10/2008, James Le Cuirot <chewi at aura-online.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:31:10 +0200
> "Dan Bolser" <dan.bolser at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There's the rub... Ive been given links to all kinds of crappy
> > streaming formats from a conference I recently attended. Seems that
> > they are not subscribing to the idea that 'information wants to be
> > free' - to that end I am trying to give it a helping hand by capping
> > the vids.
> >
> > A selection of the type of thing I want can be found here:
> >
> > http://leadingstrand.cshl.edu
> >

> > (click 'Open Access' - those crazy hippies!)
> >
> > The actual content that I want to cap has the extra 'joy' of requiring
> > authentication and a lovely 25 hour limit on view time (thats really
> > good considering there are 50 hours of lectures).
> >
> > Sadly xvidcap isn't capping sound on my system... running vsound was a
> > way to grab sound, but also an exploration for something similar for
> > video ... (I don't like the way xvidcap prevents me using the box for
> > anything else).
>
> xvidcap is an even worse idea! You need the right tools for the job.
> For the open access videos, this is a one-liner. (-; For the first
> video...
>
> mplayer -playlist http://leadingstrand.cshl.edu/FAM/indexram/DarwinianChristian.ram -dumpstream -dumpfile DarwinianChristian.rm
>
> Wait patiently for the video to finish and you'll have a perfectly
> normal RealVideo file at the end of it that you can play and transcode
> to your heart's content. It's a real-time stream so you can't grab it
> any faster than real-time.

OK, that works fine for the rm, but what about the weird smi that
nothing but helix will play (I hope I'm wrong) Its under the
'bioterorism ram', perhaps too controversial for anyone but a licence
paying windows person to see...

rtsp://meetstream.cshl.org:554/AtlasKeynoteGenome01/k/atlas.smi

> For the restricted videos, do exactly the same thing but add the -user
> and -passwd options with the relevant details. That should do the trick.

It doesn't. I can post more debugging output later (when I am back
home) - no one on #mplayer could help me make sense of it... seems
that mplayer has problems with authentication and or it can't play the
resulting format... I forget the details. I'll post more information
later. In the mean time I would be interested to know if you can play
the SMI

Cheers,

Dan.

http://network.nature.com/profile/dan