[dundee] It's soa point, and SFD, and the have soap and rest....

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 16 17:01:27 UTC 2008

First of all, I just listened to the linux basement pod cast on SFD, good work you lot, sounded like a lot of fun, I'm gutted I missed it. However, I will be up to Dundee soon, so I'll catch up with you then.

next, on the list, I've been exposed (in a good way) to soa / soap and rest , and  that's not me having a shower and then a snooze. I just wondered if anyone else has see this in action in enterprise type networks, it's certainly looks interesting. I've always liked the idea of distributed services, but the only options in the past have been the evil dcom or even eviler Corba. At a guess .net probably this new soap and rest stuff package up in Microsoft marketing, but I digress...

soa seems to be a great way of just gluing everything together in the enterprise, getting
some extra millage out of legacy application that won't talk to anything... Here's to
the enterprise service bus!!!! perhaps!!??

also, while I was research web services, I can along amazons e2 service? seems pretty
far out, anyone used this, or thinking about using it? A virtual host with 160gb of storage, 1.7gb of ram , and the ablity to scale up servers on the fly when you need capacity, seems like a crazy idea, but does it work.

anyway the nights are closing in, where our irc server ;-).

Laters,
Lee