[dundee] The Distro Swap Shop

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 20:55:22 UTC 2008

Yeah I've used portable installs and a variety of other workarounds;
fine for me and others but If we're talking about promoting Linux to
the average user or even just IT savvy users its kind of counter
productive... Here take this free and open source software CD its from
the Uni Library so we've got pseudo-official support. Only the
format(s) it defaults to won't print or even open, you'll have to
either export it to a non-editable format or hope when it
converts-to-the-format-of-the-application-we're-trying-to-get-you-away-from
it looks the way it should, or bring USB storage with you everywhere.
Its great to be free, your life is so much easier (!)

A bit facetious I grant you but we need to pick and choose our
battles. Office is a reasonable target, its entrenched though so we
need to encourage people to switch. The best way to do this in my
opinion is to make it as and easy as possible, altruistic freedom
loving will only work on some people.

While I'd settle for Abiword, its not an integrated package, which has
its own disadvantages.

Kris