[dundee] vsound?

Dan Bolser dan.bolser at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 18:06:57 UTC 2008

> For some reason, I took the assumption that HTTP authentication was
> being used. It looks like cookies are being used instead. In that case,
> login with Firefox/Mozilla and then run mplayer with the -cookies
> option. You might also need the -cookies-file option and give the
> location of your cookies.txt file.

OK, now I am back home I discovered I can play / cap

http://leadingstrand.cshl.edu/FAM/indexram/AtlasBioterrorism.ram

by first downloading the ram, extracting the link to the .smi, and calling

mplayer -playlist
rtsp://meetstream.cshl.org:554/AtlasKeynoteGenome01/k/atlas.smi
-dumpstream ...

(thanks for that).

Now I come to try and grab the 'restricted access' content

I found that the -user and -passwd options failed. Also I had trouble
getting the FF3 cookie file into 'netscape format' (apparently
required by mplayer). Funnily enough, all I needed to do was
constructct the URL with the

rtsp://user:passwd@rest.of.url...

format, and everything worked fine. I guess this format gives the
details directly to the server instead of asking mplayer to do it
indirectly via the command line options. Now everything is working
fine... almost.

I seem to have run up against an mplayer bug... I 'logged' it here:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2008-October/074835.html

But I don't know if that is the correct place.

Hrm... seems to be working at home! (Didn't work at work).

Thanks very much for talking me through this.

Dan.