[dundee] resolution problems

jamie linux at riach.eu
Sun Oct 19 18:17:58 UTC 2008

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 19:53:04 +0100
Daniel Lamb <daniel.lamb at openyourwindows.com> wrote:

> I wa just wondered if anyone has ever had problemsinstall ubuntu on
> the intel 915 chipset, I have an acer travelmate 4050 which im trying
> to get the screen res working on properly, currently it is only
> getting 1024x768 and is doing my head in, have tried 915resolution
> hack and adding parts in the xorg.conf file.

Try this...

xrandr -s 800x600

If that doesn't work, it might at least give you a clue as to what's
wrong.

James

One problem could be the automatic(remember one of the probs with
windows) assumption that Xrandr autoconfigure is correct by Hardy. the
Xrandr readme gives extra options for xorg.conf. In particular it
requires valid modelines that do not conflict with the info given from
the monitor in "plug`n`play". Modelines can be generated using tools on
the internet. My screen section also required a subsection "Display"
matching the modeline and a Preferred mode in the Monitor section.
Ubuntu attempts to use the Xorg.conf during boot but on any error during
setup reverts to the Xrandr auto configure.If it cannot configure it
uses a failsafemode. Because it only checks during boot the error
logging is incomplete, another MS type it knows best but we know better.