[dundee] Change of Distro - light blue touchpaper and retire

James Le Cuirot chewi at aura-online.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 12:33:42 UTC 2009

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:23:48 +0000
Robert Ladyman <it at file-away.co.uk> wrote:

> Isn't the install time for Gentoo measured in geological time? I've
> always been tempted by Gentoo as the techies distro...like moving
> from lemonade to shandy to Polish vodka to methylated spirits: it's
> so bad but it feels sooo good.

Everyone knows it takes ages, mainly due to the compile times but also
due to the amount of manual work involved. If the manual work doesn't
excite you then don't use Gentoo. =P I don't think you'll have a
problem though. I managed to do it all those years ago when I was a
lowly Mandrake n00b. The compiling will take especially long if you're
opting for KDE but it probably goes without saying that this takes much
longer to build than, say, XFCE. Dual core helps. Quad core REALLY
helps. If the compile times sound like a headache then maybe you should
go Slackware but I don't know much about that.

James