[dundee] Change of Distro - light blue touchpaper and retire

John¹ seago.john at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 25 16:49:04 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 25 February 2009 12:00:  Robert Ladyman <it at file-away.co.uk>
wrote:
> Does this just leave Slackware and Gentoo?
> TayLix? TheLinuxSociety.iso? OldGitix? Suggestions, serious or otherwise
> welcome (only physically possible ones from you *buntu users, please).

I was forced into buying a second hand computer some years ago when the
various editors I wrote for told me that they could no longer accept
double spaced copy on old fashioned paper, (I've still got my trusty
portable typewriter, but getting ribbons is very difficult), so a
secondhand computer being cheaper than a word processor that
produced 'floppy discs', I bought a cream box with Windows 93 (?) in it,
needless to say some time later when my daughter connected me to the
internet for one 'Fathers Day', It promptly crashed, so having had
previous minor crashes and no installation disk, I went here,
http://www.freeos.com/ found Linux, and after a brief period with
Mandrake, which for some strange reason, would only install if one took
out all the screws that held the cover on the case, and would only run if
one took out one particular screw, had a try at Slackware 7, been with it
ever since, it doesn't deserve its 'too hard' reputation, (hell even a
pensioner like me can work it), so I'd go with Slackware. Its simple, and
only runs the most stable applications and software out of the box, but
you can add what you want. Doesn't need any more than, to quote from the
system requirements on the box of 12.2, 64MB RAM, although 1 GB is
recommended for best results, although until my last box broke it was
running on 512MB, new one being built as I write, will run IDE and SATA
Hardware, RAID and SCSI compiled into the kernel. Its either that or
Debian, and the three times I've tried Debian, I've always put Slackware
back on the spare partition after a month or so. I have a subscription, so
I'm supporting the man who makes it, 12.2 cost me £36·00, plus or minus a
bit due to the exchange rate at Christmas, but you can just download it.
Its newsgroup, can be a little 'robust', but its quite easy to get up and
running, and seems to require less 'hands on' configuration with each new
version.

--
John Seago
GNU/Linux Registered User No. #219566 http://counter.li.org/