[dundee] London Stock Exchange Drops Windows Systems

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 16:02:41 UTC 2009

2009/7/5 Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan at gmail.com>

> My first response was to this was, WTF they ran windows?!  And then I
> remembered Microsoft touting this in their FUD spreading get-the-facts
> campaign against Linux.
>

> http://www.pcworld.in/india/news/7143439/Windows/London_Stock_Exchange_Drops_Windows_System
>
> Doubtless they'll soon be running Linux like every other big exchange.
>
> R.

While the LSE denied that the collapse was TradElect's fault, they also
refused to explain what the problem really wa. Sources at the LSE tell me to
this day that the problem was with TradElect.

Surely, without knowing the cause of the downtime or his sources, this
counts as Linux FUD (ooh, Windows will break, can't tell you why it broke
here, but my mates who run the nix servers at the LSE blame Windows... )
*yawn*

The really interesting part, and hopefully backed up with far more fact, is
the difference in performance. What is the cause for it? Unfortunately, he
doesn't give any insight. What does the competitor use? Distro, database,
languages, where he got the benchmarks from etc would be nice to know.

Iain