[dundee] London Stock Exchange Drops Windows Systems

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 09:35:26 UTC 2009

2009/7/5 gordon dunlop <astrozubenel at googlemail.com>

> 2009/7/5 Iain Barnett <iainspeed at gmail.com>
>

>> Surely, without knowing the cause of the downtime or his sources, this
>> counts as Linux FUD (ooh, Windows will break, can't tell you why it broke
>> here, but my mates who run the nix servers at the LSE blame Windows... )
>> *yawn*
>>

> Unfortunately pcworld reproduced an article by a well known and respected
> Linux journalist without including his links. Here is the original article
> with links:

I know who he is, I just think he's writtne a shit article, even with the
links, which also _still_ don't back up the performance differences he's
thrown in. That sort of stuff should be standard in a tech article. He'd
probably argue it was "just" a blog post. If he read some benchmarks
somewhere then copy and paste - how difficult is that?

I got far more insight from the comments on slashdot - even though amongst
them there are always plenty of zealots, fanboys, bullshitters and plenty
who don't know anything - there were some very interesting ones. Pity most
stay anonymous.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/07/03/1216250/London-Stock-Exchange-To-Abandon-Windows?from=rss

I've never subscribed to the the "I like X because of all these good
reasons, but it would seem even better if I added a load of shit reasons
too" school of thought.  If Windows or .Net or whatever was the cause of the
outage and all the problems then that is fine, I want to know. And _why_. If
there's a good Linux platform that is fast and stable, then I want to know.
And _how_. Anything else is about as much use as 10 minutes spent chatting
to the Jehovah's Witnesses on my doorstep. And then some Mormons turn up.
With Richard Dawkins in tow.

Iain