[dundee] What format for music files please.

James Le Cuirot chewi at aura-online.co.uk
Mon Jul 6 17:10:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 17:58:26 +0100
malcolm <mtbolton at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> I want to load my computer and my Ipod from my CDs.  I've a choice of
> Ogg-Vorbis, MPEG1 layer III or wave using K3b and gtkpod.
>
> Which file type and why?  Does it make any difference?

In an ideal world, I'd use OGG but neither my phone or my wife's iPod
will play it. Unless you have old devices you want to support, MP3 just
doesn't make sense anymore. AAC (aka MP4) works on iPods and most
phones made within the past year or so, and you get better quality for
the size. Linux support is also good thanks to faac/faad.

James