[dundee] Tiling Window Managers.... XMonad anyone?

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 09:22:38 UTC 2009

2009/7/7 Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan at gmail.com>

>   Oh, and the other
> impressive thing about xmonad is the documentation is about 10x better
> than for any of the window managers I've looked at (though it could
> still be better).

I think the major problem (for me) I find with open source projects is the
general standard of documentation being so low. Any project with good
documentation will win in the long run over competitors, I think, and will
save me a few burst blood vessels. Look at Ruby vs Perl. Perl's way is old
style, hard work for newcomers. It's an area I'll always praise M$ for, too,
as they really take it seriously and that makes my life easier. I wish the
OSS community put as much effort into documentation as it does into new
features.

> Good to know there are some other Functional Programmers on here...
> Have you used any other functional languages?

Tried a bit of Lisp, of course, but the (((((((())))))))))) did my head in.
Perl I've used a bit functionally, and recently downloaded the High Order
Perl book which is just useful for any new functional programmer, I think,
as it explains some of the core concepts. It did make me want to rewrite
every perl program I've ever done functional-style!

I've not used any of the buzzy ones (beyond a cursory look), like Erlang or
OCaml, but heard good things about them both, or Scala or even F#. Got some
old colleagues using LINQ a bit, but it's used more like a replacement for
SQL, and they say at times it can be depressingly slow (but I think their
SQL would be just as bad the way they described what they were doing).

I'm just really into Haskell. I've always enjoyed things like SQL and regex,
I'm sure I think more in a functional way. Started Haskell and I like the
syntax style (always important) and the thinking style. If I could just _do_
something with it I'd be happy :)

I'll take a look at clojure, I've not even heard of it.

Iain