[dundee] Tiling Window Managers.... XMonad anyone?

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 10:21:12 UTC 2009

2009/7/8 James Le Cuirot <chewi at aura-online.co.uk>

> But what would I use it for? I'm not sure...
>
> James

Anything. If you use SQL then you're using a functional language -
describing what you want from the database and letting the engine decide the
best way to carry out the task. Same goes for a regular expression, you
describe the string you're looking for and then let the engine work out the
best way. (You can give hints, of course :)  The other way would be to do
what an old colleague of mine did, who didn't like regex. He built a string
parsing module, and it parsed to his procedure. Not very flexible or
reusable, the logic not very abstracted, and probably not very fast.

Like the old adage, you can tell me what to do or how to do it, just not
both. I prefer the first. Some are more comfortable with the second.

Iain