[dundee] Tiling Window Managers.... XMonad anyone?

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 12:24:43 UTC 2009

2009/7/10 Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan at gmail.com>

> 2009/7/10 Iain Barnett <iainspeed at gmail.com>:
> > 2009/7/9 Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan at gmail.com>
>
>  SQL is declarative and though
> it allows the construction of essentially a single function (the
> query) it's lack of HOF's as the means of composable abstraction are
> the kicker for me....

Sub-queries? Some of the SQL extensions, too, allow use of functions as an
argument.

> ... particularly as it's a key concept in lambda calculus,
> which is where all this functional stuff comes from anyway!

I think Haskell Curry and the combinatorics crew might have something to say
with you about that! :)

> If you're thinking in purely declarative terms there is no concept
> "run"... But in reality in what way does CSS not run?  You can easily
> argue that the browser executes CSS to perform a rendering
> transformation.  It's lack of Turing completeness doesn't prevent it
> from being a declarative langauge.  If anything it's MORE declarative
> than SQL or Haskell, though it's certainly not functional ;-)
>
> R.

I would put CSS in the same class as SQL's DDL, or datatypes in any other
language. It has no functions. But I completely agree, it's definitely
declarative.

Iain