[dundee] Investigating resource hungry processes

Marcel Hecko marcel at shmu.org.uk
Mon Jul 27 18:06:49 UTC 2009

Hi Iain,

we are using `iotop`, `ps` (ps -efH) and `lsof` (lsof -i for sockets) to
digg into the resources usage on the system.

It's usually a question of CPU and I/O usage than memory bottlenecks which
make mess.

Sincerely,
Marcel

<quote who="christopher wyllie">
> I tend to use top firstly. I also find 'ps -auxf' useful as it shows the %
> cpu and mem usage for each process but also shows subprocesses so if
> something is a child of another thing which is dying you can see what to
> kill :-)
>
> Perhaps nothing you didn't already know but hope it's helpful :-)
>
> 2009/7/27 Iain Barnett <iainspeed at gmail.com>
>
>> Anyone got any good tips or tools for getting a bit more drill down onto
>> hungry process? I'm looking at some docs on 'vmstat', but beyond that,
>> 'ps'
>> and 'top' I've got little idea where to start.
>> I do have a particular problem process to look at, but I'm more
>> interested
>> in the general methods people have found helpful than just fixing this
>> one
>> thing.
>> Iain

please reply to
marcel at shmu.org.uk

Marcel Hecko
Connected SHMU Development Worker
Station House Media Unit
Station Road, Woodside,
Aberdeen  AB24 2WB
Tel - 01224 487174

www.shmu.org.uk

listen to our community radio station live at www.shmufm.net

This message is not intended to have contractual effect