[dundee] Linux Starter Pack Free Download

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 5 09:14:56 UTC 2009

2009/3/5 Kris Davidson <davidson.kris at gmail.com>

> Well its accessible when logged into or going via Kydd anyway, it
> seems pretty innocuous anyway so I imagine it won't be blocked at all.
>
> I take it Gordon, you mean you want a link at
> http://www.thelinuxsociety.org.uk/ - my reply to that is that we're
> working on the new site so don't want to mess around with the old,
> probably just a 30 second thing. Kris or I can do it I suppose if told
> to or a consensus is reached.

Yes I did mean the linux society site. I know you are working on the new
site, but I did not mean at this moment but sometime in the future.

> My personal opinion (can an opinion be anything but personal ?!) is
> that we've seen this sort of stuff before and that a more specific
> guide tailored to distro or something with an online version with an
> optional download is probably better.

This publication is distro specific i.e. Ubuntu (which most new users start
off with). There is no legality question as the publishers are donating this
to the Linux community. The publication has been written by a publishing
house that has experts iin the field of Linux and has good standing in the
community i.e the content will have been reasonable vetted prior to
publication making it reasonable source material for new beginners. You said
you've seen this stuff before, I havn't seen anything on the Linux society
site for links to any guides for new users. With no disrespect to Nick I
don't think he could write a better guide than what is offered. Online
guides can have variance in regards to technicality and content where the
sources are maybe not properly vetted, if you know where there is one that's
fair enough. I do think there should be some proper source material for new
users to consult to help them get started otherwise they will just give up
and won't bother. It is only 13mb dowload so a few new users is not going to
hurt your bandwidth. I see no reason not to have it, certainly until a
better new user guide can be found. That is my tuppence worth.

Gordon