[dundee] Defcon-16 Media Archives

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 8 20:02:29 UTC 2009

Defcon-16 was a Computer Underground Hackers Convention dealing with
computer security held in Las Vegas, August 2008. There were approximately
120 speakers including Dan Kaminsky, whose talk “Black OPS 2008”, was about
the DNS vulnerability that he discovered. These talks should interest a
large number of people on TayLUG. The full media archives are now available
in three different formats:

Audio (average 6MB per talk).

Video (average 200MB per talk) in MPEG4 format.

Slides only (average 100MB per talk).

Each individual piece of media is marked with its file size so you will know
how much bandwidth is being used.

With the average size of video being about 200MB and there were approx. 120
speakers, this means that there are 20GB~30GB!! of archived video material.
The best thing to do is copy the media URL's into an RSS reader as it makes
it easier to navigate than the web site.

For people that might be restricted by bandwidth quotas, I will put up the
speakers' schedule where there is a PDF file available for download for
every speaker. These PDF's gives the presentation slides of their talk. This
means a person can see what the talk is about prior to video download
minimising bandwidth wastage.

 The schedule of talks:

 http://www.defcon.org/html/links/defcon-media-archives.html

 Audio:

 https://www.defcon.org/podcast/defcon-16-audio.rss

 Video:

 https://www.defcon.org/podcast/defcon-16-video.rss

 Slides:

 https://www.defcon.org/podcast/defcon-16-slides.rss

 I think that should keep people occupied for a while.