[dundee] Xen ... Pcie Pass through...HMV

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 8 20:10:20 UTC 2009

Hello all (gordon will like this).

Seems Xen have finally got pcie pass through working with xen HVM domians in DOMu.

Unfortunately I don't the require chipset to allow me to test this (it needs intel vt-d )
which gives an IOMMU.

What this basically  means is, you'll be able to run Xen, with either a linux system in Dom0
or domU, and windows system in DomU and play direct X games, without rebooting. ;-)

It's got lots of other uses to, like improving a vm's IO prerformance ,  heheeheh

Check it out here

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/VTdHowTo

http://www.nabble.com/Successful-PCIe-Graphics-VT-d-Passthrough-to-Win32-DomU,-Q35-chipset-td21671745.html

I'd say this is a interesting development. It's early days, so I guess it's not too stable.
Who can tell.

So if you have this chipset, please give it a try......

I've also heard some crazy talk about bios vendors building hypervisors into the bios's.
So, you can just parition your machine, without the aid additional software.

Crazy stuff.

Cheers,
Lee