[dundee] ESATA Linux Support

Simon Wells swells at computing.dundee.ac.uk
Mon Mar 9 18:56:48 UTC 2009

Does anybody have any experience of using eSATA with Linux?

I have been looking at something like the following:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EdgeStore-DAS801T-Bay-eSATA-Enclosure/dp/B001H54JWW/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

My plan would be to organise it as two separate JBOD arrays, using
LVM, and connected via eSATA. The two arrays will give me some measure
of redundancy and will make backing up my data much simpler. There is
also a second remote server that holds backups and very important data
is also archived to DVD.

At the moment I am using a whole pile of separate external USB drives
and want to simplify the system by getting all of the drives into a
single unit. Am I missing anything? I have not used eSATA with Linux
myself and would like to know if there are any gotchas or things that
I should be aware of.

Thanks,
Simon

Dr. Simon Wells

E-mail: 	swells at computing.dundee.ac.uk
IM: 		sw3lls at yahoo.co.uk
Mail: 	School of Computing,
		Queen Mother Building,
		University of Dundee,
		Dundee, DD1 4HN.
WWW: 	http://quiddity.computing.dundee.ac.uk/swells/blog/
Phone: 	+44 (0)1382 386 526
Fax:		+44 (0)1382 385 509 (FAO: Simon Wells)