[dundee] Shock! Horror! Probe! Security by Obscurity failure

Simon Wells swells at computing.dundee.ac.uk
Fri Mar 13 09:27:02 UTC 2009

Thanks Robert,

That is really useful. Last week in one of my tutorials I was trying
to explain how open systems can encourage security and that knowing
all of the details of the security of a system actually translated
into more secure systems because the security doesn't rely merely on
keeping secrets but on good engineering.

At this point even the other lecturer was skeptical that knowing the
details of a system could increase security compared with not knowing
anything about it. Unfortunately, as the subject only came up
peripherally because the topic of the tutorial was free software I
didn't have any examples to hand.

This article will be useful in getting my point across (and making
myself appear like a last word freak!).

Simon

Dr. Simon Wells

E-mail: 	swells at computing.dundee.ac.uk
IM: 		sw3lls at yahoo.co.uk
Mail: 	School of Computing,
		Queen Mother Building,
		University of Dundee,
		Dundee, DD1 4HN.
WWW: 	http://quiddity.computing.dundee.ac.uk/swells/blog/
Phone: 	+44 (0)1382 386 526
Fax:		+44 (0)1382 385 509 (FAO: Simon Wells)