[dundee] Your licence fees at work - BBC acquire 22, 000 node Botnet!

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 22:14:23 UTC 2009

Well I thought I'd just light the taper, stand back and watch the
flames without passing too much comment with this one.  (Yeah right!)

I've seen elsewhere on the net people arguing both sides; though I
personally find it a little hard to see how the BBC's behaviour is
anything other than reprehensible!

They could have walked into just about any script-kiddies bedroom,
blacked out their face and conducted an interview, with little ethical
dilemma, but instead they chose to inject cash into the botnet
blackmarket - compromise machines, and then instruct them to perform a
task without the consent of the owner!

Add to this the scant disregard paid to the compromised machines
purpose, and who knows what damage they may have done!  What if one of
those machines was being used to assist in keyhole surgery, Windows
for Warships anyone?  Far fetched?  Who knows?!  Either way the BBC
should be held responsible for their actions here!

If you or I were caught doing this we would rightly be punished by the
law.  However it seems the BBC are above the law and will get away
scot free!  Not that it'd make it much better, but they didn't even
appear to acknowledge the illegality of this in the program.  What
kind of message does this send to the public whom the BBC want to
educate?

Anyway, I generally have a lot of respect for the BBC... but I'm very
disappointed this time.  I also find it upsetting that the
sensationalist British public are more keen to drag the Beeb over the
coals for cruel jokes by Ross/Brand than they are for when the BBC
blatantly breaks the law and deals with criminals.

R.